Monday 30 August 2010

toumani diabaté

Despite doodling on acoustic guitar in rare moments, I'm not a musician. It takes more dedication, over many years, than I could tolerate and I wouldn't be happy with just being a doodler. And then there's the instrument; what would I choose? The guitar is an easy choice but then you hear Miles and you wish it was the trumpet, or with Joe Morello, the drums! Each instrument has its own beauty.

In this short film, Toumani Diabaté introduces the kora. Can you imagine a sweeter sound coming from an instrument made from a vegetable? No.

2 comments:

  1. This is gorgeous, this music. Thanks for the post Ian. I could listen to this stuff all day. Great little film too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is good, isn't it? I saw him perform two years ago at a festival, but he had a band, including his son who played ''electric'' kora, and it was kind of jazz-funky. Still good but I like the simple sound of acoustic kora better.

    ReplyDelete