Thursday 2 September 2010

inconsequential truths

I. The hazelnut doesn't do much for me. It's taste is vaguely reminiscent of the end of a pencil, and I don't expect it has as much nutritional clout. In order of preference in my daily nut mix;

  • Brazil nuts - generally uncultivated, mostly gathered from the rainforest floor. A satisfying bite with plenty of flesh.
  • Walnut - Californian (though I don't know why they couldn't be English). Slight resemblance to ossified brains of small critters so may improve mental health or the ability to climb trees. A difficult nut to extract (though in this case I didn't have to).
  • Almond - a taste sensation, though thin on flesh.
  • Hazelnut - mere ballast.

II. Buddhism is a religion least likely to be practiced by aspiring time-travellers. However, for actual time-travellers it could be the most likely followed.

2 comments:

  1. I love hazelnut in coffee, but I can't say I've eaten one on its own. Your description of the walnut is excellent though - especially the "ossified brains of small critters" bit.

    Buddhism would be most ideal for time -travellers, huh? It's one of the religions I have a great deal of respect for and I try to incorporate some of it in my own life, though I don't think I have what it takes to be an actual Buddhist. It seems there are some concepts in Buddhism that are in denial of human nature, yet it could also be the embodiment of the highest human potential.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They like to live in the ''here & now'' - sorry, my little thought joke. I believe all the major religions are based on sound ideals but it's hard to sustain those ideals in reality.

    ReplyDelete