Sunday 22 August 2010

tick-tock

For about a couple of years between my late teens and mid twenties I never carried a watch. I don't remember whether my old watch broke or was lost but I didn't have enough enthusiasm to shop for a replacement. Then I found I could get along fine without one. Generally, I'd work out the time to the nearest hour intuitively, and if on rarer occasions I needed more accurate time I'd simply seek out a clock or the kindness of strangers.

The reason I think of this now is because I've just read an article in response to old news that using technology makes you stupid. The article refutes the claim though I wasn't convinced, and I wonder how my life would be without media technology (gratuitous use thereof, obviously. I'm not suggesting that if ever I should face a life-threatening situation where safety required the assistance of technology, I should decline it on principle). It's safe to say, I think, that certain tasks seemed more meaningful before technology saved time and labour. And made us stupid because now any fool can do it, can't they?

These days I'm a watch wearing conformist, but every once in a while, I try to tell, not guess, the time of day intuitively. Rarely am I out by more than half an hour, more frequently correct within a quarter of an hour. I ask you, how accurate do we need to be?

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, that's funny you posted this Ian, 'cause my watch died about a year ago and I got pretty good at being "intuitive' about time, sometimes, guessing the time on the minute. Then, my wife surprised me with a new watch a couple of days ago, for the new school year, and I was just getting god at this new found ability. I still think about laboring over writing letters and putting together mixtapes for friends a little over a decade ago. No i get e-mails with MP3s - convenient but more forgettable. That's why I hope the record store never dies. Something about being in the company of music lovers, sorting through the bins, uncovering unheard treasures, hearing something new over the store speakers that perks your ear, seeing interesting sleeve art that catches your eye. Well, you get what I'm saying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Writing letters, Steve! I remember writing longhand to a girlfriend on the other side of London, and another to a girl in Canada. I also wrote letters to my wife before we married while I was living in Australia. There's something special about receiving a hand written letter.

    I noticed the other day how bad my handwriting looks. It used to be a source of pride, a skill I needed for work. Now computers have made the need obsolete.

    ReplyDelete