Friday 27 August 2010

a borrower be

Support your local library. Before they cut it.

Even though our numbers are falling, I'm proud to be in that number. I've found a new use for my membership - CD rentals(and I've also spied some interesting foreign films on the racks). For £1 a week (or just 50p if returned within 24hours) I borrowed a copy of Tuesday Wonderland, by Esbjorn Svensson Trio. I've been listening to it at work. Wonderful, even though it's not Tuesday. This band has often been cited as the future of Jazz, or Europe's best Jazz group. But I'm sad that I shall never get to see them when I consumate my new found love affair with Scandinavia. Esbjorn died in 2008, aged 44, whilst scuba diving.

Also from the library, I'm currently into the Best of McSweeney's Vol. 2. A collection of modern American short stories. So far these have been fabulous little gems; some mysterious (think Twilight Zone) and some very funny. The McSweeney's website also looks fun, but not intuitively explorable. At least I'm struggling, but I'm specifically trying to find the stories and there's nothing to say there are any. There's a page of lists though, some of which are quite funny.

Also this week, and not a long bus ride from the spirit of McSweeney's is the brand new culture superblog, The Dabbler. Today's post is from Frank Keys, (Hooting Yard) on the poem, Jubilate Agno, by Christopher Smart (1722-1771 ). Essentially it's a list pairing a biblical hero with a named critter, some familiar, some absurd, so that hero can praise God with said beast. It's a shocking three hours long but you can hear it all here. It's worth at least a quarter of an hour. I put in about 20 minutes and then fast-forwarded - I think it's safe to say the best bit is at the beginning.

I think that's all. Back to E.S.T....

3 comments:

  1. Yep, I am too! I discovered some very good stuff at my local library, including St. Vincent and the latest Hot Chip CDs. Lots of great DVDs too! I also decided to do some major downsizing and donated over a hundred of my books to their collection. I'll have to check out that Esbjorn Svensson trio CD too sometime - sounds like something I could get into!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's good to hear, Steve. I thought public library services was peculiar to Europe.

    I don't know but I think you might like EST, what with Tortoise and some of the gentler electronica you sent me. I mean, they can get a bit excited with wah-wah pedals and special effects but then there's the graceful pieces which are really nice. You can hear one on the Ear Wax gadget in my sidebar - unless I've deleted the source). It's track no.3 ''Eighthundred Streets By Feet''.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks man. I'll see if Amazon might have this!

    ReplyDelete