Thursday 29 July 2010

a brief moment with badgers

I’m writing this post as an afterthought but I wish to mark this day as my second ever sighting of a wild badger. Actually, there was a pair of them on this occasion so that makes three all told.

My first contact was but a little over a year ago. Given my age and the numbers of badger corpses you see scattered alongside any country road, it seems extraordinary that it’s taken so long to get to just three. I might have assumed it’s down to shyness but none of the three hardy specimens I encountered showed the least bit of coyness. The latter two ambled across the road, yards in front of our car, seemingly without the slightest sense of cautiousness. In fact, the hindmost one was intent on boisterous playfulness, nipping its leader on the side of the face in a similar way I’ve seen young dogs play.

Witnessing them like this, for just a short moment, I can’t understand how anyone can think of eradicating them from our countryside in the dubious belief that it best protects cattle from bovine TB. When was the last time a cow made you marvel at nature, never mind a plate of minced beef?

No comments:

Post a Comment