Monday 6 July 2009

sport, photos & art (& shirts)

I did go back to Cheltenham - by car, not bus. I excused this by justified need: I may have a job interview and I need an interview shirt; I needed to be back home quickly to answer any pre-interview questions. However, I did nip into the Art Gallery to see the new exhibition, Athletes & Olympians. I was disappointed. I'm not really into sporting people and their achievements, and found the photos had little artistic interest: a mix of photo-journalism and clichéd studio posing. Someone had written in the visitors' book ''interesting historical photos, very impressive modern photos''. Actually, the ''historical'' ones, though small, were much better than the recent ones, free of the need for modern media gimmickry and nicely lit. By ''impressive'', he must have meant huge.

Downstairs there were three video pieces; a film of David Beckham asleep, an animation comprising 25 near identical, graphite drawings of rower, Steve Redgrave, and a huge white wall with holes behind which a dozen or so video screens showed various alternating images connected to swimmer, Duncan Goodhew, and his sport. The stark whiteness of the wall and the randomness of the images reminded me too much like anyone's Flickr page. The Redgrave drawings, displayed independently of the animation, were impressive. The animation made them look like a Rhubarb & Custard cartoon.

At the shops, hopefully not influenced by the art, I chose default white for my shirt. I also bought a grey and cream striped one for after the interview, if successful. I was hoping to find a nice green shirt, like Miles' on the cover of Milestones, but, alas, it seems style and fashion rarely meet.

No comments:

Post a Comment