Tuesday 7 July 2009

bad transport, ill wind

I plan the best way to get to my prospective employers' offices. Asking for directions, I told them I would come by train. However, Google-maps calculates the car journey to be an hour and the City Car Parks website tells me parking for a day is a tenner. A return ticket by train will cost a staggering £42. The journey, I know, will take considerably longer than an hour, not to mention I'll be completely at the mercy of the system as soon as I step onto the platform. How can you be green in this economy?

Btw, I see HFW - an admirable fellow! - is encouraging readers to sign-up to green energy. He has installed a small wind-turbine and there's a ''live'' metering widget showing how much power it is producing and the wind speed. I'm fascinated; it's more interesting than the video art at Cheltenham gallery. Over several day's visits it appears to fluctuate between 0.1 and 0.2 kW. That's between 5 and 10 energy efficient light bulbs, an average house worth of illumination, but not quite enough to power an average kettle. But every little helps in the big picture, I realise this, and if everyone adopted a windmill to light their homes the capital cost of installing these things should come down and it wouldn't take ten years or more to recoup your expenditure, just before the thing falls to bits.

So the choice seems to be, be greener and be poorer, or, enjoy it while you can because, I repeat, how can you be green in this economy?

No comments:

Post a Comment