Wednesday 17 June 2009

love & work (& music)

It's been a while since I wrote anything. I've been occupied building a wardrobe for daughter using only reclaimed materials; a bed, two redundant wardrobes and a set of redundant shelving units. It was a complete success: I found a renewed interest in woodworking and home-building that has long been missing. I may get on with the rest of the house with a view to selling: we need to get out of this place, it's not right for future endeavours. Already a plan is shaping up. We need to face the future with greater self-reliance and more diversification than before, to work more for ourselves than for other people.

During the last recession when I was out of employment, I found an old stereo system of mine and set it up in the garage; a turn-table, an amp and a pair of tall speakers. Digging out my abandoned vinyl collection, I rediscovered old forgotten favourites such as Taste, (feat. Rory Gallagher), Southside Johnny, and Slim Harpo.

Times and tastes change, yet I did a similar thing only this time with an old laptop, a wi-fi plug-in, and some amplified speakers. I'm rediscovering Late Junction and World On Three - perfect listening for woodworking with hand-tools. Mind you, I had to clear the garage for safety reasons first - hopping around the garage detritus holding sharp objects was getting a bit dangerous, and boring - and found Craig Charles' Funk & Soul Show ideal accompaniment for that. Happy days!

No comments:

Post a Comment