Wednesday 15 April 2009

a junk food future

Further to the thoughts on the population crisis, I've just read Lovelock's idea (Revenge of Gaia) that 9 billion people could just possibly be sustained on synthetic food, a industrial concoction of essential nutrients in a suitable base, like junk food. This will relieve the burden of the biosphere to provide agriculturally sourced food, farmland which would be allowed to revert back to nature and return to Gaia's regulatory system.

I get the point: we adapt with sacrifices or perish. But such a relationship with our food is too much sacrifice for me to contemplate and I'm glad I won't have to. It is a bitter irony that those who choose to eat as naturally as possible will contribute to the stress on the natural environment but there it is. Can we afford to make individual choices on global matters? Not with these numbers.

No comments:

Post a Comment