Saturday 25 April 2009

adolf hitler & winston churchill

A curious thing that connects both these leaders, apart from the obvious, was their ability to paint. Churchill, it is said, discovered his fondness for daubing in his forties when he needed a calming distraction from politics. Hitler, on the other hand, appears to have done most of his dabbling while a young man, well before politics destroyed him. There's something to be said for art as therapy.

I caught this news item today and was interested to see how good an artist young Adolf really was. Hitler chose watercolours (top) whereas, as I found out later, Winston preferred oils (left). Of course, I had to check his work out too.

I'm not sure but I don't think Josef Stalin or Franklin D. Roosevelt ever painted, more's the pity, though I think Stalin might have enjoyed Photoshop.

No comments:

Post a Comment