Monday 27 April 2009

ciren bicycle

I've just read that plans are afoot to make our town centre ''more pedestrian-friendly''. I think this will be a good thing. The area known as Market Place lends itself perfectly to a piazza style arrangement - or ''café culture'', as the paper puts it. The current arrangement of two two-lane roads separated by an island and taxi rank/car park isn't realising its potential, plus we have the grand church front as its centre-piece. I don't know how they'll arrange the traffic flow and I don't really care. How can it be worse than it already is? Most of the time I'll walk into town: it's not far, and quite pleasant.

Recently, I've dusted off the bike and intend using it more. It's quicker. It's even quicker than the car at certain times, and there's no parking charges. Not that I would ever pay parking charges: there's plenty of places to park free if you know where to look. But with a bike you don't have to bother with all that. However, I hope they do something better with the cycle routes in the grand scheme. We have them, here and there, but no one thought to join them up.

My front brakes squeal like a pig, and my rears hardly work at all; I fear the cable has stretched. My dérailleurs front and back are temperamental to say the least. I need bicycle repairman! Youtube, normally a good point of call, has so far not come up with the goods. Instead I got a YouTube copy, VideoJug, - tagline ''Life Explained. On Film.'', and three videos on bike care, none of which are particularly any good unless you happen to be an alien just arrived from planet Zogg, or somewhere else where they've never seen a bicycle, however, this one is worth watching for the funny bike-owning guy. I like the cut of his comic jib and don't know why I haven't seen him on telly.

Turning more hopefully to (fanfare of trumpet) How to Maintain your Mountain Bike for Peak Performance!, (that's more like it!) I was amazed to be shown how to wash my bike with soapy water and a stiff brush. Er...? Tell you what, here's that funny guy again in this video where his bike's half-inched, and half-inched some more. Pay careful attention! I'm always worried I'll get back to my bike and find it gone. Still, the walk home isn't far, and quite pleasant.

No comments:

Post a Comment