Saturday 9 October 2010

Tony Meeuwissen

It's easy to overlook the exhibition space in our small town museum. In a modest room tucked around the back of the museum gift shop, I found a small exhibition by local artist and illustrator, Tony Meeuwissen. I say local because I see he lives in the county, but as an artist he's certainly global. His portfolio includes book covers for Penguin paperbacks, record covers, and postage stamps. It was really delightful work; deep, rich and colourful.

I could have bought a framed limited edition print, one of a series of illustrated playing cards, but every one I picked had a tiny red dot underneath - I presumed this meant he'd sold the lot. I could have asked, I think he was there, at least there was a man being pressed to sign a book for a customer, I didn't know what he looked like and, anyway, when I next looked the man was no where to be seen.

On a table were three books of original sketches for sale, real doodle stuff but nicely done. In the front was a few words describing his way of coming up with an idea, basically throwing doodles down, all the time thinking outside the box and letting his imagination run riot until a germ of an idea presented itself. It's consoling news for compulsive doodlers like myself; all I need now is to give up the day job. Or first find the courage to do so.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, what a treat this must've been Ian. How fortunate you were! I would have loved to have been there myself.

    BTW, I've been reading an excellent book recently, by Chris Guillebeau, called The Art of Nonconformity, which is exactly about quitting your day job and doing what you love most. We'll be seeing him speak this wednesday evening, and I'll make sure to blog about it. Highly recommended!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It would be nice, wouldn't it, Steve?

    Mind you, you seem happy in your job. I'm seriously considering cutting down on the time I spend in paid employment to concentrate on spiritual pursuits like painting etc.. Fortunately, being freelance, it's easier for me than most - but it still takes courage.

    ReplyDelete