Sunday 14 March 2010

someday my prints will come

Many moons past, I made a multi-media illustration inspired by a prompting website called, I think, Artwords. I can't remember what the prompt word was either but the illustration featured a doodle of a fisherman pulling a net amongst newsprint waves while being assailed by a shoal of flying fish. What troubled me was where the idea of the fish came from. I wouldn't want to argue that anything in art is original but these fish, though not copied, were naggingly too familiar. Last week, I found the similarity with MC Escher's flying fish. Case solved.

I'm 97.3% decided to enrol on a printmaking class, particularly one involving block cutting. I'm fascinated with these things. From my naive point of view, the success of these comes in two directions which, in my ingorance, I call the illustrative and the geometrical. The illustrative tends to have a laboured, old-fashioned feel, so I'm drawn towards the simpler looking geometrical. I've also been charmed by the effectiveness of these simple designs using MDF board, by Nat Morley. I'll have to get a head start on any course and get my thinking cap on about subjects and designs...

No comments:

Post a Comment