Saturday 16 May 2009

go self-signify yourself

I expect most writers like to tell you something new. It isn't entirely necessary. Even when they tell us what we already knew, they usually tell it in a better way. That's their craft, assembling the right words and putting them in the best order. I admire writers.

I see Bryan Appleyard.com has written an introduction to his links explaining favourites and blogrolls. He says they are ''character attributes'' and ''self-signifiers''; we say we knew this all along; but he puts it a lot better.

He doesn't mention that it's a two-way process: knowing the compiler - or random collector - gives significance to the links. Normally, I would look down that list and think pah! (or uh?), but, no, I reckon they must be cool, despite appearances.

Like, New York?! This made me smile.
~

Btw, I like the idea of searching for images for this blog. On my other blogs I've been mindful to use my own images but as this blog isn't specifically for images, making appropriate images is a drag. Besides, searching for images is educational.

Helen Levitt's NY street scene is evocative of Cartier-Bresson and that's exactly why I was drawn to it. No surprise to find he was one of her influences. I don't know much about Helen Levitt. Finding out she died less than two months ago is strangely sad, almost as this blog began.

Btw2, I also found this ''reverse image search'' which is interesting. TinEye. You upload an image and it searches for identical (or near enough) images on the web. Good for telling who's using your images without permission.

No comments:

Post a Comment