Wednesday 20 May 2009

a case for time travel (part two)

Around the time of my birth a lot of exciting and good music was being made and recorded. By the time I knew how to tune a radio or put a record on, most of this music had been relegated to the bin of history: it was the age of hippies and rock, soon to be ''prog. rock'', and, in less than a decade's time, punk rock and the rest, as they say, is history, and history is bunk. With forward on hold, and sideways not looking too clever, there's only going back.

I've just arrived at the end of a little sojourn into late 50s jazz. I started, naturally, with Miles Davis, followed through with Coltrane, Adderley, Lee Morgan, Art Blakey, Sonny Clark, Dexter Gordon, Hank Mobley, Wayne Shorter, Horace Silver, Oliver Nelson, Grant Green, and Kenny Burrell... This final CD I'm listening to is Charles Mingus, Ah Um, and I have to say I've obviously inadvertently kept the best to last. Superb.

2 comments:

  1. Great sounds. But what about McCoy Tyner?

    ReplyDelete
  2. He had been recommended but, alas for the moment, funds are limited.

    ReplyDelete