Saturday 19 June 2010

the coin-operated horse

I've put this image up for Steve. It's me, probably around four years old, riding on a coin-operated horse. I don't know where it was taken: the coin-operated horse I had in mind, when I commented on a photo of Steve's wife as a little girl riding a rocking horse, was out front of a beach shop in Newquay, Cornwall. This wasn't it; it's an entirely different one. I really must have had a thing about mechanical horses.

Riding the horse, and wanting to ride them when I saw them, is one of the few memories I have from pre-school years. It may be the only one. I have to be careful not to dwell on this memory too long in case it gets corrupted. Memories are delicate things, and I don't really know how pristine this one actually is. I'll put it away now.

2 comments:

  1. Love this photo Ian, as well as the point you made at the end of your post here. Those are definitely your eyes too! Thanks for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought that about the eyes too, Steve. That far away look, it's caused me no end of trouble over the years.

    ReplyDelete